St. John’s Episcopal Church, Zion Parish, is over 200 years old and was established in 1811 by the Episcopal Diocese of Maryland, with its first services held in Old Paint Branch Chapel in Calverton, MD. Over its long history, the congregation has experienced significant damage and destruction at multiple sites as a result of storms, a tornado, lightning and fires.
In 1856, land was given for St. John’s, Zion Parish for a new church and cemetery in Beltsville. The following year, the frame and building were erected as St. John’s Episcopal Church, Zion Parish on its present site. During the Civil War, the churchyard was used as an artillery site by the Federal troops.
St. John’s Episcopal Church, Zion Parish, has a diverse membership from all around the world, of every age, ethnicity, and culture, who worship as one, to the glory of God. At our annual International Saturday potluck banquet, parishioners bring favorite dishes from their homelands to share. Throughout the year, during Sunday services, we honor the Independence Days of parishioners’ homelands by praying intentionally for the people of that nation.